The Ballots are In: International Chocolate Day was a Success!
On September 9th our Austin store celebrated International World Chocolate Day by hosting a free chocolate tasting. Our fabulous volunteers made their favorite chocolate recipe to share with customers. Customers then voted on their favorite.
We had over 900 pieces of chocolate to sample! Customers had a blast trying each different type. Equal Exchange fair trade, organic chocolate was featured in the recipes. We made sure to tell each customer the advantages of eating fair-trade chocolate, for example buying fair trade chocolate supports farmers in developing countries and gives them a fair wage. Plus we just think it tastes better, though we are probably a little biased.
I’m very pleased to announce that Camille Euritt and her gluten-free Easy Chocolate Truffles won! Camille was awarded a $25 gift certificate to the store and the satisfaction of sharing her chocolate with our customers. The recipe is below!
Easy Chocolate Truffles
· 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
· ¾ c Equal Exchange Breakfast Cocoa, plus extra for rolling
· 1 can sweetened condensed milk
· 1 bar Equal Exchange Panama Extra Dark chocolate
· 1 tbsp vanilla
· Fair trade powdered sugar for rolling
· Add-ons for rolling (toasted coconut, cacao nibs, nuts)
1. Melt butter completely in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa until smooth.
2. Increase heat to medium and add condensed milk and chocolate. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour mixture into heat safe container with lid. Chill for several hours.
4. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and ready your rolling ingredients.
5. Use cookie dough scoop to scoop out truffle mixture. Shape and then roll and dust the ball in any add-ons of your choosing.
6. Once finished topping all the truffles, store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Overall we thought the whole event was a major success and want to invite everyone to attend again next year! Here is our fair trade recipe book so you can celebrate chocolate year-round. And “Thank You!” Austin 365 for featuring our celebration as the Free Event of the Day.