Couldn’t Have Asked for a Better Night- IWD Awards 2016!
An inspiring night filled with connections and laughter, International Women’s Day Awards 2016 was a force to be reckoned with. This event celebrates and honors Austin women changemakers who are making a difference in our community. All of the awards were handcrafted by women artisans from all over the world, connecting our winners to influential women around the world. We had a HUGE turnout, and the store was packed front and back to celebrate the awesome women in Austin who make change every day.
Special thanks to our dedicated volunteers who transformed the space into a magical affair, and to our sponsors Hey Cupcake, Fluff Meringue (soon to be our new neighbors!), Phoenicia Bakery & Deli, Pacha Café, Mmmpanadas, King Liquor, Whole Foods and Next to New.
Our winners this year for the Animal Advocate category were:
- Winner – Pamela Leal, of David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and Global March ATX.
- Runner up – Jean Hubrath of Classic Canines
- Honorable mention to Lauren Goot of Austin Pets Alive
This year’s Environmentalists were:
- Winner – Erin Flynn, Green Gate Farms and New Farm Institute
- Runner Up – Amy Stansbury, Editor-in-Chief of Austin EcoNetwork
- Honorable mention to Molly Stevens of Westcave Outdoor Discovery Center and the Children in Nature Collaborative of Austin
Our Humanitarian honorees were:
- Winner – Kelley Worden of Art from the Streets.
- Runner-up – Judith Dullnig of the Women’s Storybook Project of Texas
- Honorable mention to Beverly Hamilton of the Austin Diaper Bank
Our Emerging Changemaker winners were:
- Winner – Karlie Franke of Run to Hear
- Runner-up – Savannah Kumar of the Amala Foundation and SafePlace
- Honorable mention to Hanan Alwan, PALS mentor and Thinkery volunteer
More pictures from this event can be found on our Flickr and Facebook pages, thanks to Lauren Major and Anu Kate Pradhan who volunteered to photograph the event. Also, a very special thank you to our wonderful Emcee Joy Diaz and our judges Suzy Swingle, Sara Hickman, and Leslie Pool! We are lucky to have the support of these influential Austin women who offer their time and energy to make these awards possible.
If you’re interested in joining the Ten Thousand Villages of Austin community, we are always looking for motivated people to join our volunteer team, so check out our volunteer page!
We are already looking forward to International Women’s Day Awards 2017, and if you are too follow us on Facebook for updates on all of our upcoming events. See you next year!